It’s Children’s Dental Health Month! We have teamed up with the County of San Diego’s Oral Health Program to provide tips and resources on best oral health practices for babies and kids, and how caregivers can access free dental screenings in their area.
Baby Teeth Matter
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and floss daily if two teeth are touching.
- Avoid putting baby to bed with a bottle and visit a dentist at first tooth or first birthday.
Keep a Good Oral Health Routine at Home
- To keep teeth healthy, use fluoride toothpaste, limit sugary foods and drinks, and visit the dentist regularly.
Fluoride is Good for Your Teeth!
- Fluoride stops cavities from forming and can even rebuild the tooth’s surface.
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and drink fluoridated water to keep a beautiful smile.
Starting February 25 until March 4, dental screenings, sealants, and fluoride varnish are at no cost for children 1-18 years old at community clinics. For more information, call 619-692-8858 or visit sdcds.org/sdcdf/give-kids-a-smile/
You can also visit our Oral Health Programs web page for additional information on:
- Dental screenings, exams and treatment for children ages 0 through 5 and pregnant women
- Care coordination for high-risk patients
- Oral health education for pregnant women, parents/caregivers, childcare providers, community-based organizations, and dental/medical providers
To get connected to dental services supported by First 5 San Diego call an OHI provider near you or call 1-888-5 FIRST 5 (1-888-534-7785).