Autumn Scavenger Hunt
November in San Diego County brings great go-outside-and-play weather. Encourage your child to enjoy a fall day with an outdoor activity: a scavenger hunt. Even though Mother Nature is preparing for winter, there are plenty of interesting things to search out and explore. Here is a list of scavenger hunt clues to take along:
- Find a large red leaf.
- Find a small yellow leaf.
- Find an animal sign: a track, a feather, a bone, etc. What animal was here?
- Look up in the trees to find an old bird’s nest.
- Find some rough bark.
- Find some smooth bark.
- Find a spider: look but don’t touch.
- Find 2 different grasses. How are they different?
- Find a smooth rock that fits in the palm of your hand.
- Listen for the sound of birds. How many different birds to you hear?
- Is it windy? Close your eyes and feel the wind on your face.
- Can you find a flower? What color is it?
- What is the most beautiful thing that you can find?
When your kids are done with this scavenger hunt, make crafts out of their scavenger hunt treasures:
- Wrap a piece of masking tape sticky side out around your child’s wrist and help him make a fall nature bracelet. Stick leaves and other bits of nature right onto the tape.
- Paint the special rock and keep it as a memento of the fun Autumn Scavenger Hunt.