Teddy Bears’ Picnic Day is July 10
Did you know that President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt helped create one of America’s most beloved toys? The president inspired Morris Michtom, a New York candy shop owner, to name his wife’s handmade toy bears “Teddy’s bears.” That was in 1902, and since then children have loved teddy bears of every shape and size.
July 10, 2017 is Teddy Bears’ Picnic Day. You can make this an extra special day for your child and his bears with a picnic. Here are some ideas:
- Plan your picnic menu together. Tell your child that bears like healthy food and snacks.
- Prepare the picnic together, giving your child age-appropriate kitchen jobs.
- Pack up the picnic and be sure to include plates and utensils for your special bear guests.
- Have your child dress up his bears for the outing.
- Celebrate: whether it’s your back yard, local park or living room, enjoy a picnic together. Have pretend conversations with the bears and make sure they tell your child how much they love the food your child made for them.
- Just like in the song Teddy Bears’ Picnic [http://bussongs.com/songs/teddy-bears-picnic.php], dance, sing and play hide and seek with your child and his bears.
Every teddy bear, that’s been good
Is sure of a treat today
There’s lots of wonderful things to eat
And wonderful games to play
Beneath the trees, where nobody sees
They’ll hide and seek as long as they please
Today’s the day the teddy bears have their picnic
– Chorus to Teddy Bears Picnic