This sweet-and-salty blend is a delicious way to obtain vitamin A, an important nutrient for eye health.
Prep Time: 17 minutes
Total Time: Varies
Makes: 12 servings
Serving Size: About 2/3 cup
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (22-ounce) bag frozen mashed potatoes (such as Ore-Ida)
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork; arrange in a circle on paper towels in microwave. Microwave at high 12 minutes or until tender, rearranging potatoes after 6 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Peel potatoes; mash. Add 1/2 cup sour cream, sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cinnamon, stirring until blended. Keep warm.
- Heat mashed potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add milk, remaining 1/2 cup sour cream, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Spoon sweet potato mixture over mashed potatoes, swirling with a spoon. (Do not blend in completely.)