Newsletter November – December 2016: Healthy Holiday Recipes
Healthy Holiday Recipes
Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips
- 2 apples, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- canola oil cooking spray
- Heat oven to 200°F. Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper; spray paper with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Place apple slices on cookie sheet. Spray apples with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with sugar-cinnamon.
- Bake 2 hours, rotating cookie sheet after 1 hour. After 1 hour 30 minutes, check apples every 10 minutes to avoid burning. Store in airtight container.
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp organic, raw honey
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Melt the coconut oil and place it with 1 cup of the shredded coconut in a food processor. Process on high speed, scraping down the sides periodically until it reaches a paste-like consistency. (It does not have to be completely smooth like coconut butter; some texture is good.)
- Add the honey, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and process until well combined. Add 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of shredded coconut and pulse until just combined.
- Shape the mixture into 12 (1-inch) balls and coat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 5 days. Eat cold or bring to room temperature before eating, depending on personal preference.