Healthy Recipe of the Month
Maya’s Delicious Vegetarian Little Lasagnas
This meal was one of the 2015 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge award winning recipes. Winning dishes were selected based on healthfulness, taste, originality, affordability and if they followed the USDA’s MyPlate recommendations. This recipe is fun, easy, and highly customizable for varying taste buds. Use it to celebrate a meat-free Earth Day or simply enjoy anytime of the year.
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- ½ pound lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped vegetables, such as onions, zucchini, carrots, and peas
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, whisked well
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fill a large pasta pot with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the noodles and cook about 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain the noodles and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables and sauté for about 6 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden.
- In a large bowl, combine ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese with the cottage cheese, egg, and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a muffin tin or individual baking dishes with a small amount of tomato sauce. Cut the noodles to size and place 1 noodle in each cup/dish. Begin layering with vegetables, sauce, the cottage cheese mixture, and then another noodle, veggies, sauce, the cottage cheese mixture, any remaining Parmesan, and the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Carefully loosen sides with a knife and remove gently. Serve with salad and fruit. Enjoy and stay healthy!
337 calories 7g fat 43g carbohydrates 24g protein