Happy New Year, families! Every new year we make resolutions that help us become better versions of ourselves whether it be to exercise more, eat healthier, spend more time with our families, travel more, etc. One great New Year resolution any parent can work on is tweaking and perfecting our parenting styles. Parenting isn’t easy but we must try our best for our children. After all, a parent is a child’s first and best teacher.
Tips for Positive Parenting:
- Spend quality time with your child: set aside time to bond with your child through talking, playing and reading
- Show affection: physical and verbal affection helps a child’s social emotional development; give hugs and use positive words to show you care about them
- Imagine your child’s point of view: it may be hard to think like a child but remember they are still developing their patience, self-control, socio-emotional behavior, and more. Take a moment to acknowledge any potential stressors in your child’s life that may be causing them to act out
- Follow a routine: structure and stability help children predict and anticipate what is expected which helps them feel a sense of comfort
- Set limits: boundaries help set the tone for what behavior is acceptable and what is unacceptable, but remember to be realistic with the limits in regard to their age
- Discipline with love: children can be emotionally scarred if they are disciplined with physical acts such as spanking or shaking; take a firm tone when discipling and help them learn self-control
- Self-care: it may be difficult to find time for yourself, but it is important to do so as your own stress can take a toll on your child; ask friends and family to help with childcare from time to time
- Be a good role model: young children are very observant and can quickly pick up on language and behaviors of people around them, be mindful of your actions and words around your child
As you start incorporating these positive parenting tips, you are sure to see a difference in yourself and your children. If you are interested in parenting classes call us at 1-888-5 First 5 ( 1-888-543-7785).
First 5 San Diego Positive Parenting brochure
Zero to Three