First 5 San Diego Executive Director, Alethea Arguilez, was on Fox 5 to discuss programs and services that are available to working parents as they face going back to an in-person work environment and putting their kids back in care.
Services and Programs
- 2-1-1 is a free 24-hour phone service that connects people with community resources. If you are looking for a specific service or resources or aren’t sure where to start, give them a call by simply dialing 211.
- San Diego Quality Preschool Initiative helps connects parents and families to high quality early learning and care programs. Visit sdqpi.org and use their program finder to find programs in your area that are participating in quality improvement. They also have other resources to help parents find care.
- Healthy Development Services provides an array of services for early identification and treatment of children with mild to moderate developmental delays.
- First 5 First Steps provides countywide family support services to help parents raise happy and healthy children.
Tips for Reacclimating Children Back to Care
- It is natural for them to feel nervous or anxious after being at home for so long
- Talk and communicate with them about the changes early and frequently
- Talk about going back in an excited and positive way
- Acknowledge their feelings
- Ensure they are getting proper nutrition, sleep and physical activity – these things can affect mental health
- Establish morning and afternoon routines