Mission, Values, Vision, and Core Functions
The mission, values, vision, and core functions of the First 5 Commission of San Diego are the starting point for action and investment at the regional and community levels. At the most basic level, these statements articulate how the Commission approaches the work that it does, and what it strives to accomplish through its efforts.
The First 5 Commission of San Diego leads the San Diego community in promoting the vital importance of the first five years of life to the well-being of children, families and society.
In all that it does, the Commission holds to these values:
- Children: We honor and celebrate children and every child.
- Parents: We support the role of parents as the child’s first and best teachers.
- Communities: We believe strong communities help create healthy children and families.
- Inclusion: We embrace and serve the diversity of San Diego’s communities.
- Partnership: We collaborate to create a seamless system of care and support for children and families.
- Results: We are committed to achieving real and sustainable results, demonstrating accountability, and attaining measureable outcomes.
The ultimate goal of the Commission’s work is that all children ages 0 to 5 are healthy, are loved and nurtured, and enter school as active learners.
The Commission conducts its mission through these key functions:
- Funding services and activities to achieve desired results.
- Advocating for policy change at local and state levels.
- Acting as a catalyst and leader for coordinating, integrating, and leveraging existing resources.
- Building community and organizational capacity to support families.
Strengthen the relationships essential for the healthy development of young children. These relationships are embedded in health, learning, family, and community settings or environments.