It’s a fact that early prevention and intervention are critical components of a healthy lifestyle. Small changes in daily habits can have a positive impact on you and your family. First 5 San Diego promotes healthy living for children, families and communities. Here are some quick tips on how you can help make sure you are growing a healthy family.
- Make sure to include 5 or more servings of fruits & vegetables as part of your meals and snacks
- Regulate recreational screen time to less than 2 hours a day
- TV-viewing, video game playing, and computer time can directly cause obesity through replacing physical activity, increased eating and reduced metabolism
- Television can also have an indirect effect; advertising can influence children to increase their calorie intake by eating and drinking more junk food/beverages
- Simplicity is often the best avenue. From organized sports to biking, shooting some hoops, or just playing outside with friends, there are ways for children to stay active every day
- Teach your children healthy habits – be mindful of your own eating habits and weight. Children under 3 who are overweight, but have parents who are not overweight have a lower risk of adult obesity.
- Pay attention to your child, show them you care – children who are not tended to by adults have a much higher chance of becoming unhealthy.
- Make sure your children are getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night. Children need lots of sleep; this helps them stay active and regulates their hunger.