2014 Holiday Fun for the Family
This holiday season spend some quality time with the whole family by enjoying some of the activities San Diego has to offer. There is a wealth of fun and festive experiences taking place in San Diego, such as holiday parades and festivals. Here are just a few to choose from:
- Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! – The wonderful family-fun musical based on the classic Dr. Seuss book, is back in San Diego at the Old Globe for the 17th year in a row. Celebrate the holidays in Whoville with songs and merriment for the whole family. The musical begins on November 15 with performances until December 27 and children under three get in free.
- Annual Mother Goose Parade – (East County) One of the biggest parades of the year, beginning in 1947, the Mother Goose Parade is a fun outing for the whole family. On November 24, in the City of El Cajon, this is a one-of-a-kind county event featuring floats, clowns, Santa, marching bands, equestrian teams and special celebrity appearances.
- Oceanside Turkey Trot – Put on your thanksgiving costume and join the O’Side Turkey Trot at the Oceanside Pier on November 27! If you don’t want to join the walk/run, dress the kids up and take them to the pier to see all of the fun costumes.
- Ice Skating by the Sea (Coronado) – From November 27, 2014 through January 4, 2015, enjoy outdoor ice skating at The Hotel del Coronado on the beach, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Sip on some hot chocolate and enjoy the beach after skating, to truly enjoy holiday season, San Diego-style.
- Santa Train North Pole Limited (East County) – All aboard the Santa Train! Starting November 28, join the train for an evening full of festivities and cheer. With hot chocolate to warm your tummies, and classic Christmas story readings leading up to Santa’s Workshop, where Santa jumps on board.
- Julian Christmas Tree Lighting – On the Saturday after Thanksgiving (November 29), take your family to the historic town of Julian to kick off their country holiday season.
- Balboa Park December Nights – A two-day holiday celebration of food, entertainment and fun the first week of December, taking place on December 5-6 this year. Take in the sights, sounds and smells of the holiday season while you roam around the museums listening to carolers, live music, light displays, theater and dance performances and yummy food from around the world.
- Christmas in the Park – (Poway) All of the wonderment of Christmas in the Park on December 13! Your family will enjoy the tree lighting, horse-drawn hay rides and pony rides, a visit from Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus, a petting zoo, face painting, a steam locomotive, model trains, live entertainment and holiday treats and food.
- Oceanside Harbor Parade of Lights (North County) – Watch the parade of lights sail by on December 14 – a parade around the Oceanside Harbor that features a variety of brightly decorated, holiday-festive boats.
- Holiday in the Park – Old Town State Park gets dressed up during the holiday season, starting on December 15. Visit the park and all of the shops that get dazzled up for the holidays!
- Big Bay Balloon Parade – Deemed “America’s Largest Balloon Parade,” every year the San Diego Bowl Game Association puts on the Big Bay Balloon Parade around the holiday season. This year on December 26, the event will feature floats, balloons and marching bands along the Bayfront in downtown San Diego. The parade is free to the public, or you can grab VIP tickets, for front row seats!
- San Diego Holiday and Christmas Light Displays – Nothing brings smiles to entire families than Christmas light displays. And when entire neighborhoods get into the holiday spirit, it brings whole communities together, with people driving from all points of the county just to get a glimpse of someone else’s neighborhood display. Click on the link for a partial list of some of the more well-known (and annual) holiday light displays. Since these are private residence displays, listings are subject to change.
No matter what you do this holiday season, make sure to enjoy spending time with your family and loved ones. From volunteering, to playing outside in the nice weather, to playing board games and joining around the table for family dinners – celebrate this season and special time together!