Newsletter July – August 2017: July is National Blueberry Month
July is National Blueberry Month
Celebrate with the Fun, Kid-friendly Treats
In July, we traditionally celebrate the birth of our nation. But July also marks the unofficial birthday of an all-American fruit: the blueberry. One of the first truly American fruits, blueberries were first brought from farm to table 100 years ago.
With just 80 calories per cup, blueberries offer many nutritional benefits. They are low in fat, packed with vitamin C and a good source of fiber.
Your family will be happy to celebrate National Blueberry Month with these fun recipes:
- 8 graham cracker squares (plain, cinnamon or chocolate)
- 4 teaspoons peanut butter
- 1 banana, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Spread each graham cracker with ½ teaspoon peanut butter
- On 4 of the graham crackers, place 4 banana slices and top with blueberries, dividing equally
- Cover with remaining graham crackers and press gently
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
- (optional) 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Combine blueberries, pineapple, optional jalapeño, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and red onion.
- Season with salt and additional lime juice as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or with fish or chicken.